Each Virtual Display Manager configuration can be preconfigured as a default on VDM load. Active configurations can be changed at run-time to accommodate different use-cases as well.
With remote access to VDM enabled machine via common remote protocols (in VDI environments, for example), the number, size and orientation of monitors available to users can differ dramatically and thus applicable VDM configurations should vary from connection to connection.
This necessity is even more pronounced when using mobile devices such as tablets – device rotation rapidly changes Desktop topology.
This is where VDM configuration association with Desktop topology proves to be very useful, enabling seamless switch to appropriate VDM configuration with the change of user’s Desktop.
- Desktop on a tablet computer in a landscape orientation can benefit from VDM’s vertical split (virtual displays are next to each other)
- The same tablet computer in a portrait orientation is likely to favor a horizontal split (virtual displays are on top of each other)
- Association of vertical and horizontal VDM splits with with the landscape and portrait tablet screen orientations respectively will allow for dynamic configuration change with tablet screen rotation
To configure configuration association do the following:
- Open VDM configuration screen and click on “Associations” button.
- Select configuration of interest in the pull-down box at the top of “VDM – Configuration/Desktop Association” window
- If current Desktop topology (number of monitors, size, relative position) is the one to associate – select “Current” radio button and click “Add”
- Save your configuration
- Switch to another possible Desktop topology, select desired configuration and click “Apply” again
- In case it is not feasible to activate desired Desktop topology, use “Custom” radio-button to imitate desired topology by selecting combined Desktop width and height along with monitor count
- Click “OK” when ready to save associations within VDM configuration